This is the kind of recipe you want to remember when you end up with several overly-ripe bananas. It is so simple, yet really yummy! And it is sugar free and dairy free!
- 3 ripe bananas
- 2 medium eggs
- 1 scoop of shake / oat apple fiber / beta heart powder
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp coconut flower
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Mash bananas in a bowl.
- Add a school of shake / oat apple fiber / beta heart powder.
- Add 2 eggs and mix everything together.
- Add cocoa powder and coconut flower and mix well.
- Put a baking paper in a baking tray and spread the mixture evenly.
- Bake at 180°C for 30mins.
Last week was the first time I attempted to make a raw carrot cake and I was so please how it turned out. I love normal carrot cake, so I had high expectations from the raw version. I was also a bit nervous as it was 2 layers of base and 2 layers of cream. But I was very pleased with the results and the guest we had over for dinner that night loved it too.
For the base:
- 2 grated carrots
- 150g ground hazelnuts
- 100g chopped walnuts
- 100g ground almond
- Handful of pitted dates
- Handful of figs (or prunes)
- 2 tbsp carob / maple /date syrup
- 1 tbsp goji berries
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup melted coconut oil
For the cream layer:
- 500g cashew nuts soaked over night
- Juice from 2 lemons
- 2 tbsp carob / maple / date syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Lemon zest from 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp melted coconut oil
- 2 tbsp almond milk
Note: I do not have a food processor so I use my Nutribullet for all the blending. So, either a blender or a food processor are both ok to use.
- Melt the coconut oil in a microwave.
- Put the grated carrots and goji berries in a big bowl and mix it with ground cinnamon.
- Put ground almonds, ground hazelnuts, chopped walnuts, pitted dates, figs, vanilla extract and coconut oil in a blender and blend till everything is nicely mixed together.
Note: If your blender is too small just mix half of everything first and then the other half.
- Put the mixture in a bowl and mix it with the carrots, goji berries and cinnamon.
- Put half of the mixture in a round cake form, push the mixture evenly into the form. Then cut a baking paper into a circle shape of a size of the cake form and place it on the first layer. Put the remaining mixture of the baking paper and push into the form and make it even.
- Place the cake form in a freezer for 1 hour.
- Put all the ingredients for the cream layer in a blender and blend until smooth.
Note: If it is not getting smooth because it is too dry just add a bit more of any of the wet ingredients- almond milk, melted coconut oil, lemon juice etc.
- When time is up take the cake form with the base out of the freezer and take the upper base layer out of the form.
- Pour half of the cream into the cake form on top of the base and spread evenly.
- Place the second base layer on the cream and slightly push down till you see a bit of cream coming out on the sides of the base.
- Pour the rest of the cream on top and spread evenly.
- Decorate with some chopped walnuts on top.
- Place in the freezer for 2-3 hours.
- Take out of the freezer 1 hour before serving and place it in the fridge. If you intend to server in less than an hour you can even leave it outside.
Tip: The flavors combine even better if you leave the cake to rest over night. In that case put in the freezer for 3 hours and then place in the fridge overnight.
Do you have a sweet tooth? Do you like nuts? Do you like chocolate? Do you like Nutella? Then you will love this dessert! It is simple, fast and delicious!
- 100g ground almonds
- 100g ground hazelnuts
- 50g cashew nuts
- 4 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp cacao nibs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 tbsp carob / date / maple syrup
- 100ml coconut oil melted
- chopped hazelnuts and chopped almonds for decoration
- Cacao nibs for decoration
Note: You can get whole nuts and ground them at home. I prefer to buy ground nuts as it just makes things easier.
- Melt the coconut oil in a microwave.
- Put almonds, hazelnuts and cashew nuts in a blender / food processor and blend all together.
- Add the cacao nibs, cocoa powder, vanilla extract, carob syrup and melted coconut oil in a blender and blend till everything mixes together.
- Line a tray/ dish with a baking paper or a foil.
- Pour the mixture into the dish and spread out and smooth the top.
- Decorate with chopped hazelnuts and chopped almonds and cacao nibs.
- Place in a fridge for 30mins, or in a freezer for 15 mins.
- Remove from the dish and cut into squares.
In my post about HelloFresh I promised an overview of Gousto services as well, so here it is.
Gousto gives you less options for recipe boxes to choose from. The setting for your box is much easier and more simple than HelloFresh:
- A box for 2 or 4 people
- 2 or 3 or 4 meals per box
Though you have a certain box pre-set in your subscription settings it is very easy to add servings or meals when you are choosing your recipes without having to change the basic settings, unlike with HelloFresh where you always have to go to the main settings.
Which box do I usually go for? When ordering Gousto I always order 4 meals for 2 people and it costs me just £34.99 which is even less than HelloFresh 3 meals for 2.
However, there is few ingredients that are not provided in the Gousto recipe box compared to HelloFresh. The only stuff that you need to have at home while cooking with HelloFresh are salt, pepper and oil. There is few more things that you need to have at home while preparing Gousto meals – oil, salt, pepper, sugar, milk, flour, butter. Personally I do not buy butter, so I use olive oil spread instead as I usually forget to check what I need for the recipe. I do not use sugar, I use carob or date syrup instead which I think works even better as it is liquid form so it is easy to dissolve and mix. I do not have cow milk in the house so I usually use almond milk.
Are you thinking about giving Gousto a go? Click here to get 50% discount on your first 2 boxes https://www.gousto.co.uk/join?promo_code=ANNA317741
As you might have noticed I buy both HelloFresh and Gousto recipe boxes. Few people have asked what is the difference between those two, so this blog is an overview of services offered by HelloFresh, and later there will be another one about services of Gousto. That way you will have all the information needed for you to decide which one to go for. However I think the best is to try both and you will see which one you prefer.
Types of HelloFresh recipe boxes:
- Classic Box
- 3 meals for 2 people £39.00
- 3 meals for 3 people £49.00
- 3 meals for 4 people £59.00
- 4 meals for 2 people £41.99
- 5 meals for 2 people £49.00
- Veggie Box
- 3 meals for 2 people £36.00
- 3 meals for 4 people £57.00
- Family Box
- 3 meals for 4 people £57.00
- 4 meals for 4 people £64.00
- Note: You can change the type of the box anytime – such as you can buy a bigger box when you are expecting visitors.
Recipe preference (what type of recipes are you looking for):
- Note: Only available for 3 meals Classic Box
- Following preferences available:
- Chef’s choice
- Low calories (around 600 kcal / meal)
- Fish free
- Pork Free
- Quick & Easy
- Free delivery to your house on the day you choose
- In my area they delivery on Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays and Sundays
- Boxes will be coming every week on a day you choose
- You can pause your subscription anytime for as long as you want for no extra charge
- This is very handy if you are to travel. Personally I get HelloFresh one week and Gousto the second week, so I pause it for every second week.
Freebies for your friends:
In your box you will also find some handy vouchers for discounts or freebies, such as wine, Graze snack box etc. Sometimes they add samples, I have had a Kinder Bueno and Tea bags in my box.
I like HelloFresh because the ingredients are fresh and the recipes are simple, yet tasty. I get to cook things I would not normally cook. And they have amazing customer service, they definitely follow the rule “Customer is always right” and they solve everything fast, really amazing!
So why do I buy both HelloFresh and Gousto? Just for even bigger variety, and to be honest Gousto is actually slightly cheaper as well.
Looking forward to hearing from you about your experience with HelloFresh. Please grab the £25 discount on your first box and let me know how did you find the HelloFresh recipe box.!
If you have a HelloFresh box this week you know there is no Rump Steak recipe only a Sirloin Steak. Well, today when I started cooking I realized that I had two packs of Rump Steak in my box (I needed just 1 for Teriyaki Beef), so someone swapped Sirloin for Rump by a mistake. I called HelloFresh Customer service and they gave me credit for my next box. I must say that HelloFresh got amazing Customer service, they definitely stick to the rule ‘Customer is always right’ without asking any silly questions. So thumbs up HelloFresh Customer Service!
Anyway, so here is recipe for Sirloin/ Rump Steak. It works with either, as long as it is steak meat. Btw I have made some small changes to the recipe, a bit less onion and garlic, as I don’t like to smell of garlic and onion, especially as I sweat a lot as a personal trainer.
Rump steak with Peppercorn Sauce
Ingredients (for 2 adults)
- 2 Rump Steak pieces
- New potatoes (aprox. 10 small ones)
- 1/2 bunch thyme
- 1 red onion
- 15g butter
- 1 shallot
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 bunch flat leaf parsley
- 182 tbsp black peppercorns
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1/2 chicken stock pot
- 150g Creme Fraiche
- 1 small bag of baby spinach
- Remove the steaks from the fridge. Preheat the oven 200°C. Cut potatoes into 2cm chunks, spread them on a baking tray, drizzle a bit of oil and spice with a pinch of salt and thyme leaves. Bake for 25 – 30mins till golden.
- Halve, peel and thinly slice the red onion into half moons. Melt the butter in a small saucepan, add the onion with a pinch of salt and cook until golden and soft for about 15-20mins. Stir every now an then to prevent it from burning at the bottom. Once cooked, transfer to a bowl, keep the saucepan as you will use it later.
- Halve, peen and thinly slice the shallot. Peel and grate / chop / press the garlic. Roughly chop the flat leaf parsley and crush the peppercorns.
- Season steak with a pinch of salt and black pepper. Heat a splash of oil in a frying pan, once hot lay in the steaks. Cook 2 mins each side on high heat and then 2 more mins on each side on lower heat for medium – rare. For medium add extra 2 mins on each side for medium. Once done transfer on a plate and cover with a foil.
- If need add a splash of oil in the pan and add shallot. Cook until soft, aprox. 5 mins, then add peppercorn, thyme, white vinegar and half the garlic. Add the chicken stock pot and 100ml water. Cook for 3 mins on reduced heat and then stir in the creme fraiche. Take it off the heat.
- Once your potatoes are cooked put the onion on top of the potatoes and leave in the oven for another 5 mins.
- Heat a splash of oil in the sauce pan. Add the remaining garlic, fry for a min and then add the spinach and wilt for 3-4mins.
- Stir parsley into the sauce, add any resting juices from the steaks.
- Serve potatoes on a plate and spinach next to it. Slice steak and place on top of the spinach. Spoon the sauce over the steak. Enjoy!
Click here for a 50% discount on your first HelloFresh box https://www.hellofresh.co.uk/offers/eqxmfn/?c=R93FAS
My HelloFresh box arrived yesterday! Yay! Mondays feel like Christmas thanks to my recipe boxes deliveries now! I do love my food and I really enjoy the variety I get these days thanks to all the new recipes from HelloFresh and Gousto. Btw I am preparing a post on comparison of HelloFresh and Gousto services, so watch out for that one if you are thinking about trying either of them.
I usually do not cook with cream and cheese, but from time to time I do fancy creamy pasta, so when I saw this recipe on the recipes list I went for it and I am glad I did. Cooked it last night and it was lush! So I want to share it with you!
Creamy chicken linguine with roasted broccoli
Ingredients (for 2 adults):
- 3 chicken thighs
- 3 rashes of streaky bacon
- 1/2 onion sliced
- 1 bunch of flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 1/2 sliced broccoli
- 200 – 300g linguine
- 1/2 chicken stock pot
- 150g Creme Fraiche
- 20g hard Italian cheese, grated
- There are two ways to prepare the broccoli. Cut the broccoli into florets and slice each florets into 3.
- Boil: Cook in a pot with water or place in a bowl and pour hot water over it.
- Roast: Preheat the oven for 200°C. Place broccoli on a tray, season with pepper and salt and a drizzle of oil. Roast for 10-12 mins.
- Cut bacon into 1cm wide slices. Cut the onion in a half, peel and slice into half moons. Finely chop the parsley and cut chicken into 2cm cubes.
- Heat a drizzle of oil on a frying pan, add bacon and cook until crispy. Then add chicken into the pan and spice it with a pinch of salt and pepper. Cook till chicken is nice and brown. Then add onion and cook until onion is soft and brown.
- Boil a pot of water and add your linguine. Cook for 11-12mins, once cooked drain and drizzle with oil.
- Add 100ml of water and a chicken stock pot to the pan. Stir well to dissolve the chicken stock pot and cook for another 5 mins.
- Add Creme Fraiche and shimmer for 2-3 mins.
- Remove the pan from the heat and add the linguine, broccoli and parsley to the pan and mix everything together.
- Serve in a bowl and sprinkle over the hard Italian cheese and some parsley.
Click here for 50% discount on your first HelloFresh box https://www.hellofresh.co.uk/offers/eqxmfn/?c=R93FAS
As you may have noticed I am a big fan of Hello Fresh. I love the fact that I receive a new recipe and all the ingredients I need. So I do not have to research the internet for recipes and most importantly I do not have to be searching the shops for specific ingredients.
Here is a recipe that was in my box this week – Thai Style Pork Stir Fry, you might want to give it a go.
Btw I like to tweak recipes, so you may find it is not 100% identical to the original Hello Fresh recipe.
Ingredients (for 2 people):
- 200g basmati rice
- 1 chopped shallot
- 1 chopped/grated garlic clove
- 3 thinly sliced spring onions
- 1 pack of green beans
- 300g pork mince
- 3 tbsp Ketjap Manis
- 1 1/2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 red chilli pepper
- 1 bunch of Thai basil
- Olive / coconut oil
- Boil water in a large saucepan. Add a bit of salt and add rice. Lower the heat and cook for aprox. 10mins
- Chop the shallot, peel and chop the garlic, chop the chilli pepper and thinly slice spring onions.
- Remove tops from the green beans, cut them in half. Put a splash of oil in a frying pan and stir-fry until tender (2-3mins) and them transfer to a plate.
- Add a splash of oil and pork mince, stir-fry until brown (6-8mins). Then add shllot, garlic, spring onion and chilli. Cook for 2-3mins until veggies are softened.
- Add beans to the pan. Stir in ketjap manis and soy sauce.
- Remove the pan from the heat and add some basil leaves.
If you would like to get your first Hello Fresh box with £25 discount then click here https://www.hellofresh.co.uk/offers/eqxmfn/?c=null
Looking to get some new inspiration for cooking?
I like to order the HelloFresh Box from time to time, just to try some new recipes. My usual style of cooking is “chuck everything you find in the fridge in preferable one pot” 😀 which is lovely, but sometimes you just need a change of flavors. And I do not like to search for recipes and then having to look for the ingredients in the shops. And that is what I like about HelloFresh – new recipes and you get all the ingredients delivered to your house.
So what is HelloFresh? You get your box with ingredients and a recipe card delivered to your home, and you can choose from variety of boxes:
- Classic box for 2 to 4 adults where you get to select which recipes you want
- Veggie box for 2 to 4 adults with vegetarian recipes
- Family box for 2 adults and 2 children
I personally get the Classic Box with 3 meals for 2 adults and I chose the “Low calorie” option so I get recipes with around 600 kcal per portion, nice and light.
And you can choose how often would you like to get your delivery. I just get it every now and then, no need for a subscription (To do so you have to pause the delivery in your delivery calendar)
This was the first ever raw cake I made and it came out amazing! Whenever I see a good recipe on Facebook I send it via messenger to my husband so I do not lose it. And when I was contemplating about what cake to my for my stepsons’ birthday my husband insisted I made this one.
Let’s make the “cheesecake” word clear – it looks like a cheesecake but there is no dairy, it is a vegan cake. #dairyfree #lactosefree #refinedsugarfree #vegan
First I was a bit scared as I usually stick to baked cakes and avocado based “cream” layers, so I was afraid what if it did not come out nice, especially the cashew nuts “cheesecake” layers sounded very alien to me. However the cake was very straight forward to make, I tweaked it a bit, as I always do with any new recipes that I adopt. And my husband and my stepsons’ said it was the best cake I have ever made.
- 1/2 walnuts
- 1/2 chopped almonds
- 1/2 almond flakes
- 1/2 pitted dates
- 1/2 prunes
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp melted coconut oil
- 2 1/4 cup raw cashews soaked overnight
- 1/4 cup carob/ maple syrup
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Lime juice from 3 – 4 limes
- 1 tsp lime zest
- 1 cup blueberries
- Blueberries and strawberries for garnish
TO MAKE THE CRUST
1. Pulse ingredients in food processor/ blender until sticky crumbles form. (Add a splash of water/almond at the end if it needs help sticking.)
2. Press crust into a parchment lined cake form.
LIME CHEESECAKE LAYER
1. The night before, soak cashews in a bowl of water. The next day, drain and rinse. Place cashews in food processor and blend for several minutes until smooth.
2. Scrape down sides and add lime juice, 1/4 cup sweetener, zest, & vanilla & blend again.
3. Stream in the melted coconut oil & blend until well combined. Taste and add more sweetener, if needed.
4. Scoop out enough of the cheesecake filling to cover the crust with about 1/2 to 1 inch of the white layer. Then set in freezer for 30 minutes to firm up.
BLUEBERRY CHEESECAKE LAYER
1. Add 1 cup blueberries to the remaining cheesecake in your food processor and blend until smooth. If your blueberries are tart, you may need a couple more tsp sweetener.
2. Spread the blueberry layer on top of lime layer and decorate with fresh blueberries and lime zest.
Cover with foil and set in the freezer for about 3 hours to firm up and then transfer to the fridge for a couple more hours.
Decorate with any fruits (strawberries, blueberries etc)