Summer is the holiday season and when travelling, not always do we get a chance to do a full workout, apart of swimming in the sea or in the pool, of course. Some hotels do have fitness centres and gym, but who would even want to spend time indoor when the weather is so lovely outside? My husband is an exception 😀
So, I am bringing you a series of few exercises that you can do literally anytime and anywhere. And the first exercise is a Bulgarian Split Squat.
While doing a regular split squat while both feet are on the floor, we rest the back foot on a bench, or anything elevated, during the Bulgarian split squat. You can use just your body weight, or you can add extra weight with dumbbells or bottles of water.
- Start off by standing in front of a flat bench, or any other elevated thing like a piece of a wall that allows you to rest your foot on, with both feet together.
- Place one foot back on the bench in a staggered stance with your toes pointing down and the top of your foot pressing flat against the bench.
- Keep your chest up, core tight, back straight, and begin slowly lowering yourself under control by flexing the knee and the hip of your front leg.
- Once you reach the bottom position, push yourself back up and stopping just short of locking our your knee.
Things to remember:
- make sure the front knee does not go over your toes while lowering your body
- keep your back straight and your chest up
- use your arms to help you to balance
- breath in while coming down and breath out while coming up
- go as low as it is comfortable for you
Benefits of Bulgarian Split Squat:
- improves balance
- works your lover body muscles, especially hamstrings and quads
- workout for your core