This was the first ever raw cake I made and it came out amazing! Whenever I see a good recipe on Facebook I send it via messenger to my husband so I do not lose it. And when I was contemplating about what cake to my for my stepsons’ birthday my husband insisted I made this one.
Let’s make the “cheesecake” word clear – it looks like a cheesecake but there is no dairy, it is a vegan cake. #dairyfree #lactosefree #refinedsugarfree #vegan
First I was a bit scared as I usually stick to baked cakes and avocado based “cream” layers, so I was afraid what if it did not come out nice, especially the cashew nuts “cheesecake” layers sounded very alien to me. However the cake was very straight forward to make, I tweaked it a bit, as I always do with any new recipes that I adopt. And my husband and my stepsons’ said it was the best cake I have ever made.
- 1/2 walnuts
- 1/2 chopped almonds
- 1/2 almond flakes
- 1/2 pitted dates
- 1/2 prunes
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp melted coconut oil
- 2 1/4 cup raw cashews soaked overnight
- 1/4 cup carob/ maple syrup
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Lime juice from 3 – 4 limes
- 1 tsp lime zest
- 1 cup blueberries
- Blueberries and strawberries for garnish
TO MAKE THE CRUST
1. Pulse ingredients in food processor/ blender until sticky crumbles form. (Add a splash of water/almond at the end if it needs help sticking.)
2. Press crust into a parchment lined cake form.
LIME CHEESECAKE LAYER
1. The night before, soak cashews in a bowl of water. The next day, drain and rinse. Place cashews in food processor and blend for several minutes until smooth.
2. Scrape down sides and add lime juice, 1/4 cup sweetener, zest, & vanilla & blend again.
3. Stream in the melted coconut oil & blend until well combined. Taste and add more sweetener, if needed.
4. Scoop out enough of the cheesecake filling to cover the crust with about 1/2 to 1 inch of the white layer. Then set in freezer for 30 minutes to firm up.
BLUEBERRY CHEESECAKE LAYER
1. Add 1 cup blueberries to the remaining cheesecake in your food processor and blend until smooth. If your blueberries are tart, you may need a couple more tsp sweetener.
2. Spread the blueberry layer on top of lime layer and decorate with fresh blueberries and lime zest.
Cover with foil and set in the freezer for about 3 hours to firm up and then transfer to the fridge for a couple more hours.
Decorate with any fruits (strawberries, blueberries etc)